Monday, December 12, 2011

Αθήνα

I'm a bit frazzled/worn out from island hopping today (Hydra, Poros, Aegina), but I wanted to record a conversation that I've had at least five or six times since I've been in Greece.

Me: Γεια σου/ευχαριστώ (Hello/Thanks you in Greek)
Greek Person: (in English) You speak Greek?!
Me: Ναι, λίγο (Yes, a little).
Greek Person: Are you half Greek?
Me: No.
Greek Person: Why do you speak Greek?
Me: I studied it in University.
Greek Person: In Athens? Here?
Me: No, in the US. In Seattle.
Greek Person: How is this possible?!

There have been a couple variations, but I guess that Americans who don't have Greek family don't typically study Greek? I don't know. It's been really interesting here and lovely and SO WARM. I'm definitely not looking forward to returning to the cold Western European weather. Paris better be really nice (har har har).

No comments:

Post a Comment